[OM] Can't help but play...

Subject: [OM] Can't help but play...
From: "Mickey Trageser" <mickeytr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 16:37:08 -0500
I bought an old SVE 35mm slide projector at the antique mall yesterday with a
5" lens, working bulb and fan. Surprisingly good shape. It's the old manual
slide feed type. Cleaned the condensers and reflector and was feeling proud
when I looked into the lens and found the fungus farm. Well, this being a
moulded not-for-disassembly type lens, I tried using it as is. Soft focus is
the result, big time. So, I took to chipping the front bezel away from the
front element. I had good success and pulled out the 3 lens elements and
spacers. They all scrubbed up nicely. Re-inserted the parts, put a little hot
glue around the circumfrence and pushed a nylon ring that fit so nicely inside
the opening. Looks like hell, but works like a charm. Just perfect for those
quick look-see's at the slides to really decide which to scan/print. Hand held
units are good too (I have 2) but sometimes you gotta see it on the wall.

Anyway, that was my break from the holiday madness!
-Mickey