Re: [OM] Alberta Alert: Name Those Mountains!

Subject: Re: [OM] Alberta Alert: Name Those Mountains!
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 00:08:39 -0600
At 09:45 PM 1/2/2002 -0800, you wrote:
Joel Wilcox wrote:

> Hey all you Alberta/Canadian Rocky aficionados on list.  I'm trying to
> identify a couple peaks from a 1991 trip (which was otherwise very
> memorable).  I was shooting the relatively new-to-me Fujichrome 50 at the
> time and Kodachrome 25.  These two mountains I want to identify are on
> Kodachrome (for those of you who dig it):
>
> http://soli.inav.net/~jdub/nameit.html
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Joel W.

The ax-edged peak is Mount Rundle. The photo was taken from a path
running very close to the Bow River about a 20 minute walk from the
centre of Banff. My wife and I have worn out many pairs of shoes and
boots in this immediate area!

John Hudson

Thank you John! And thanks for the name of the river too. (Is that pronounced "boh" or "bough"?)

My recollection is that the photo was made fairly close to the highway. I used a 80-200/4 (err, another camera brand, sorry) in an effort to get a bit of the lake/water without too much of the road you see in the lower left.

Mount Rundle I found very hard to capture. I have not done it justice, though I like any picture of it. I suppose it's all scree and mud up there, but it looks like a notched ax cocked to the side, and it looks good from miles coming on in either direction.

Joel W.