[OM] Re: scanning

Subject: [OM] Re: scanning
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 08:50:07 -0600
"The other thing that is done with drum scanning is that multiple negatives
can be put on the drum and scanned, and the software (I think) lets you
target a certain area of the drum as a specific file. So you could mount up
a dozen strips of 6 images of 35mm film and scan them and get 72 files, each
scanned at 8000dpi. This makes the economics of it somewhat better...
although the storage needed is not much different."

Exactly what the service bureau is planning on when they buy the scanner.
And, the storage requirements are much less than you think, as most simply
scan, put on disc/cd/etc. and give to customer. Little if any long term
storage. I'll bet only the largest have the scanner full every time. I'll
also bet that there's not a national, or even regional magazine in the US
that doesn't use a drum scanner. (I'm not familiar with the Flextight,
however). Certainly not every scan uses the full resolution available.

There is a local "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" magazine where I live,
it covers mainly local homes and decorating. They bought a flatbed with film
adapter and then a D1, and the change in reproduction was clearly obvious to
even the most untrained eye.

Bill Pearce