[OM] (OM) Lens support group !!

Subject: [OM] (OM) Lens support group !!
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 19:39:21 +1200
Hi Folks;

Today I picked up the Bogen / Manfrotto 293 telephoto lens support that I
wrote about a day or two ago. The reason it was so cheap ($NZ 35) is that it
was missing a webbing strap (I think the Manfrotto version has Velcro on it
too). At a camping store within the next 30 minutes I bought a 1-metre length
of webbing the correct width and plastic clips, for $NZ 4.50.

A first report then. It may be viewed at:

http://www.manfrotto.com/products/metric/botfot3.html?doc_from=search_from&man_code=293&srcman_code=293&srcbog_code=&srcarticle=&doc_from=search_form&company=MNO&contatore=primo

The rubber pads on the front V-support sit there precariously waiting to find
some long grass or bushes to leap off into. Slightest touch and off they fall.
Glue there is next.

The whole thing has a reported weight of  0.62kg or 1.4lbs.

It seems quite solid, and the quick release system is very compact and
better-gripping than the one on my Bogen 3-way pan/tilt tripod head. Has a
system that helps assure that in fact the plate HAS engaged the slot in the
device.

The minimum length lens it will provide support to is so far a bit of a
disappointment for me. It's relatively long, and when I went back and looked
at Gary's data, it seems that the shortest lens he used it on was the Zuiko
200mm.

There are only two lenses I have I can use it on at present; the 100~200, and
the 300.

I had hoped to use it on the 35~105 too as I think it may benefit.

The minimum length between camera mounting flange and front support yoke
is 5 1/2 inches  - 14cm. So the minimum usable lens length is probably
about 6 inches - 15cm. Maximum yoke extension is 9 inches - 23cm.

I may modify the security of the adjustment screw (made so it won't undo
right off) and try reversing the slider that carries the yoke so I can try it
on
the 35~105.

Brian