OT - National days - was Re: [OM] Happy day to all English OM'ers

Subject: OT - National days - was Re: [OM] Happy day to all English OM'ers
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 09:46:07 +0100
The saint's day might have started out as a religious thing but these
days, where it's celebrated it's a secular national pride day, really -
Scotland, Wales and Ireland make a much bigger deal of their days than
ours.  I suppose it's a kind of substitute Independence day for those
who were never colonised - or aren't yet independent!

It is sort of assumed that the whole country has the same religion - the
Church of England is the established church, no-one of any other
religion can accede to the throne, their bishops have reserved places in
the House of Lords and so have some say in the running of the country.
It's an anachronism, and I dare say it won't stay that way for too many
years more.

Roger