Re: [OM] 28mm f2.0 versus 28mm f2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] 28mm f2.0 versus 28mm f2.8
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 18:19:20 +0200
On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 08:52:08PM -0700, Olympus List wrote:
> I hate my 28mm...it's an f2.8.. (yes yes yes, I know, Moose is sick of
> hearing me say that)  Wide open, it is very soft, but I have found at f5.6 or
> lower, it's not bad at all.  I do like the size and weight of it though, and
> the 49mm thread makes it compatible with my 50/f1.8.  Of course, I am a bit
> biased, because the other two lenses I own are the 50/f1.8 and a 90mm/f2.5
> Tokina Macro, both of which are tack sharp...  So it might be the case that
> the 28mm is sharp, just not compared to these other two lenses...

Albert,
specially for your information:
>From the point of a lens desinger: Focal lenghts around 85..90..100mm for
>35mm-cameras
 are the best compromise for highest performance, with "inexpensive" cost. This
is why
most manufacturer offer a macro-lens in that range, because this lens-type
is desinged for maximum sharpness and contrast.

Lenses that cover a wider-view gather more off-axis light, which needs more
effort to be precisely focussed.
(effort = more lenses, floating elements expensive glass, ....)
With longer focal lenghts chromatic abberation become a troublesome issue.
Only the introduction of expensive glass (ED, SD, ....) alowed to reduce this
in a
manner to construct telephoto-lenses which are supperior to other focal lenghts
 (e.g. Zukio 2.0/250).

Frieder Faig