[OM] Losing spot metering (was: Lens hood allowance for filters)

Subject: [OM] Losing spot metering (was: Lens hood allowance for filters)
From: "Pete Prunskunas" <pyotr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 13:41:00 -0600
I sent the following question to Olympus customer support, and the
last line is their reply:

>>Using an Olympus OM-3Ti and 28mm f2.0 lens and the standard
>>(included) Olympus screw-in lens hood, is it possible to add a
>>filter without causing vignetting? How about adding a standard
>>(the slim filters do not have front threads) circular polarizer?
>As long as you use slim filters, you shouldn't have a problem.

As you can see, the techo-emailer did not really answer my
question.  So, I will attack the question from a different angle.
I could use a linear polarizer with a wide angle lens and a hood
to avoid any vignetting.  However, then I wouldn't be able to use
spot metering.  Before I start spending money, I'd like to hear
comments on that option.  I generally use my 28mm lens to
photograph buildings and other outdoor city scenes.  How
limiting would the elimination of spot metering be for city photos?

Pete