Re: [OM] Wide angle focus near & far (long)

Subject: Re: [OM] Wide angle focus near & far (long)
From: Damon Wood <deewhy_au@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 13:38:50 +1000 (EST)
Pete,

wide angle lenses, if you are an enthusiast become extremely useful (and
addictive). Architectural and landscape photography is done extensively with
focal lengths of between 17-50mm (even 8mm!).

Eg., why do landscape photographers use wide angles - max DOP and extensive
subject range throught the viewfinder.

With a wide angle lens (say 21mm), if u focus to infinity, DOF will extend from
infinity to around 2 metres, but the DOF behind infinity is wasted. The trick
is to focus on say, 2 meters so the DOF extends back to infinity, but also
extends forward 0.8 meters. (The distances I am talking about are located on
your lenses - as you will see thankfully on all your beloved Zuiko?s, they are
marked on the lenses with distances in meters and feet [inc. the infinity
symbol]).

This is called hyperfocal focusing (HFF), and the point which maximises the
extent of the DOF is called the hyperfocal point. Use it!!!!!! Look at your
results and compare them to those you previously took without using the HFF.

This will be a similar case to using your 35mm f2 (damn ? havnt got one). Try
shooting in between f8-11 and compare them to your others taken at say f16-22.
I have a habbit of going straight to f22 or 16 to maximise DOF. This is OK, but
occasionally 35mm format lenses perform better at those mod ? way apetures. But
if you have a medium ? large format camera, crank the apeture to a pin!

I need to pay more attention to those apetures delivering impecable optical
performance such as f8 ? 11. I have a habbit of thinking I need everything in
good DOF. But sometimes, blending the background because of a slight lack of
DOF makes the image, to the eye, seem very distant from your foreground
subjects. Theres nothing wrong with that either.

Hope that helps ? its an old and totally necessary procedure in every
photography book.

Cheers,

Damo

Macrovision - Business Management Consulting

35 Labouchere Road, South Perth, Western Australia 6151

PO Box +61 8 9474 9501

Fax: +61 8 9474 9648

Email: consult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Website: www.macrovision.com.au