Re: [OM] Slide projector

Subject: Re: [OM] Slide projector
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 22:57:42 -0500
At 03:33 6/10/02, you wrote:
As a Zuikoholic in the early stages of the disease, I've been shooting print film for about a year now and am planning to move to transparancies (mainly because I never quite know what I'm going to get back from the print processor). Although we have quite a few slides from the 1960s, my wife's not keen as she remembers small slide viewers and the necessity of lugging projectors out etc!

The secrets of good projection:
(a)  Projector lens
(b)  Projector screen
(c)  Slides appropriate and relevant to the intended viewers
(d)  Ruthless editing of those passing the test in (c).

Most people's expectations of resolution, even with HDTV, has been "dumbed down." A slide show on a large white matte screen (50-60 inches) of highly resolved slides, even 35mm format, using an excellent lens blows them away with detail level. Then project some medium format 645 and 6x6 slides and that blows away the 35mm ones!

Best screen material for showing resolution: white matte. Worst is glass bead even though it's the most reflective material. One of the "best buys" in projection lenses is the Schneider-Kreuznach Vario-Prolux f/2.8 zoom lens. At slightly more than $100 from sources such as B&H, it runs circles around all the Kodak lenses I've used and its speed helps compensate when using white matte screens, or when the ambient light level is relatively high. They're available for Kodak Carousels and Ektagraphics that use "Carousel" lenses (which is nearly all of them). I don't know if Schneider makes them for European projectors (Leica, etc.).

I rather fancy the look of the Novamat M330 as it acts both as a viewer using a ground glass screen and as a projector. Does anyone have any views on this projector? Is it good value for money, reliable? Would I be better spending the money elsewhere? Would it do justice to Zuiko glass?

I'll have to look into this to see if it's available in the U.S. Right now I use a white enameled panel that used to be on the front of a dishwasher. It's mounted on the wall of my study and allows editing slides with about an 11x16.5 inch image. I could use something thats reasonably portable.

-- John