Re: [OM] Slide projector

Subject: Re: [OM] Slide projector
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 22:25:02 -0500
At 09:29 6/11/02, you wrote:
I have a Vivitar projector that I bought for about $ 170, with a Vivitar 85/2.8 lens. The performance is adequate. How do you think the Schneider-Kreuznach Vario-Prolux f/2.8 zoom would compare to it,
and if it were compatible would it be worth the 'upgrade' ?

-Tim

Tim,
I have no experience with the Vivitar lens . . . only a comparison of the Schneider with two Kodak lenses on an Ektagraphic II, and a Rollei lens on a dual format Rollei P11. The Schneider and Rollei lenses clearly have higher resolution with less aberration than Kodak's lenses, and the Schneider lens edges out the Rollei lens, but not by much. I'd be willing to bet the Schneider lens would also edge out the Vivitar. Schneider-Kreuznach's current "claim to fame" is cinema and projection lenses, along with world class medium format lenses. They're on par with Carl Zeiss, and have been for many years. They don't have the name recognition that Carl Zeiss does.

If Kodak's Carousel lenses are compatible with the Vivitar projector you have, then the Schneider Vario-Prolux will work in it. I don't know if they're interchangeable. Find a Carousel or Ektagraphic projector somewhere (or even go to an Office-Max or Staples . . . they carry Ektagraphic III's). Compare the Kodak lens to your Vivitar lens.

BTW, I found out about the Vario-Prolux reading Photo.net's forum on projection systems and methods. Quite a few postings there about it. Only complaint by a few is the plastic barrel, which is still very precision and better than Kodak's plastic barrels. They come from a few commercial/industrial users that desire/expect metal barreled projection lenses so they can withstand the beating they'll receive.

-- John