Re: [OM] OM 4 (Auto) - Shutter speeds

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 4 (Auto) - Shutter speeds
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 18:13:31 -0500
At 15:38 6/12/02, Tom Trottier wrote:

Different films also cause different auto vs manual exposures on the slower
speeds since they reflect differently. See
http://www.markcassino.com/essays/ttlflash.htm and

An interesting article. It cites a TTL-OTF metering problem I've *never* encountered with an OM-2S and OM-4, both with and without a T-20, T-32, and Metz 40MZ-3i (with SCA 321), all in TTL-Auto when using:
  Kodachrome 25
  Kodachrome 64
  Ektachrome 100 EPN
  Ektachrome E100S
  Ektachrome E100VS
  Ektachrome E200
  Ektachrome 400X
  Ektachrome 64T
  Ektachrome 160T
  Portra 160 NC
  Portra 160 VC
  Portra 400 NC
  T400CN
  TMax 100
  TMax 400
  TMax P3200 (EI 1600/Push 1)
  Tri-X Pan
  Fuji Astia
  Fuji Provia 100F
  Fuji Sensia 400
  Fuji Provia 1600 (EI 1600/Push 2)
  Agfa Scala 200X
  Ilford XP-2
  (whew! I think I listed them all)

More seriously, be cautious if doing an experiment with measuring reflectivity of a film leader. Film emulsion *does* change color when exposed to daylight, and its reflectivity *will* shift as a result. How much it does for any particular film I do not know.

I won't make claim there's no difference in emulsion reflectivity as I haven't measured it, but all botched exposures have *clearly* been my doing, not the TTL metering system's. Some of these films, such as Kodachrome, are not very forgiving of exposure error. I make no compensation for normal lighting conditions! Both the OM-2S and OM-4 seem to be very robust in center-weighted TTL-OTF unless there's very strong back-lighting over a fairly large area of the frame with a shaded/shadowed subject. Must be something wrong with my OM-2S and OM-4 TTL metering.
:-)

-- John