Re: [OM] manipulation

Subject: Re: [OM] manipulation
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 17:17:10 -0700
On Wed, 03 Jul 2002 05:52:27 -0500, Lee Penzias wrote:

>I have "accidently" produced more than a few photos that may (..or may not)
>have been favorably viewed as "creative works" - or "art" by one person or
>another - as opposed to "record". But for me to have exhibited them as the
>intentional use of skills toward a particular creative result would have
>been fraudulent. They were actually attempts at accurate photgraphic record
>(within practical limitations of equipment, conditions etc) that uh...
>didn't quite turn out as I expected.

What they are are images you produced. Whether you "intended to produce art, or
simply pressed the button at random intervals, the
image is there for all who see it to enjoy, judge, critique, etc. And if
someone finds the meaning of life in a snapshot you took by accident,
that's a good thing, right? I'm a firm believer that "meaning" lies with the
viewer/listener/audience. What you intended is primarily of
importance to you, but largely irrelevant to the audience.

--
Barry B. Bean
Bean & Bean Cotton Company