[OM] crummy plastic XA <grin>

Subject: [OM] crummy plastic XA <grin>
From: "William Sommerwerck" <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 08:29:23 -0700
"I had the same aversion to plastic when I purchased my XA for a climbing
trip to Canada in 1981. After years of faithful (and hard) service I no
longer have a issue with it."

Back in 1984 I went on a rafting trip and neglected to keep my XA tightly in
its case when not being used. You know what happened -- the XA wound up
floating in water in the bottom of the canoe. For the rest of the day I
heard its plaintive "death squeal" as the water shorted out the electronics,
activating the beeper.

Even though the XA had fallen in fresh water, there was no point in trying
to repair it. (By their very nature, plastic cameras are harder to
disassemble.) So I put it aside and bought another one.

Jump to early 2002. I found the previously water-logged XA and put a battery
in it. It worked! I was flabbergasted. It's unlikely a metal-bodied camera
would have survived this treatment.

In fairness, Nikon once ran an ad about a photographer who dunked his F,
then carried it across India in a bucket of fresh water. The camera worked
properly after it was flushed and dried out.