RE: [OM] Best Tri-pod for OM

Subject: RE: [OM] Best Tri-pod for OM
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 09:47:52 +1200
Hi folks,

In my opinion, the reason OMs (and any focal-plane shutter camera) needs a
heavy and sturdy/stiff tripod, and one with the tripod head very close to the
apex of the tripod, is to minimise the vibration of the focal-plane
shutter/mirror complex, and the vibration of the aperture stop-down
mechanism especially in long lenses.

Heavy big 4x5's etc have advantages BECAUSE they are heavy AND the
shutters are leaf shutters in the lenses (which don't create much vibration or
displacement of the mass of the camera/lens combo), and the lenses are
usually comparatively short (less leverage of the moments (a physics term
from away back when) of the things moving above the tripod apex) that will
affect the stability of the image getting on the film..

So I'm happy to use a Gitzo 321? Studex as recommended by John Shaw
for my little OMs. Even that is less solid than I'd like sometimes.

Brian