RE; [OM] Storing & Retrieving Film ?

Subject: RE; [OM] Storing & Retrieving Film ?
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 12:43:50 +1200
Jeffrey wrote
> Less simple question: Even though 35mm slides are easy to store, I've
> never come up with a good filing system. Storing by subject doesn't work
> well for me. Storing by date would require an index to find what I'm
> looking for. Does anyone have a storage / retrieval method that really
> works?

I have a locking steel filing cabinet (office-style, takes foolscap size), 3
drawer.

After writing to ALL the storage system makers listed in George Schaub's
book about shooting for stock, I evaluated the 20-30 replies and settled on
polypropylene (I think they are) hanging sheets, marketed by Franklins
(USA)  (I think) Semi-Local agent (in Australia) supplied me. I think Franklins
get them from Germany. Slides are arranged 6x4 per sheet. I store them in
numerical order.

Every slide has its own unique number (series started from 1), to be found in
my field book and in the database.

To find images of a particular subject / topic /  colour / pattern / aerial
etc, I
interrogate the database. This gives me the slide numbers to pull out.

Do you separate "great shots" from shots that probably should be
> thrown away but you don't want to?

Yes, I search-index the best shots and the others are filed same as the best
(but in a different drawer) in frame-number order. I can usually find one of
them that meets other needs by using a combination of field-notebook
entries and the main database search.

Please contact me off-list if you would like more info.
bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Brian