[OM] Silly Canadians

Subject: [OM] Silly Canadians
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 08:17:23 -0500
Garth,

I've never traveled to the four corners in the winter, but have spent a lot
of time there in the summer. First, it is longer than you think to get from
Denver to Santa Fe, much less the Grand Canyon. Allow sufficient travel
time, especially if there is snow in Colorado (a little early in the season,
but not impossible, but possibly impassable). I would suggest you
investigate a couple of places on your route from Denver (I'm assuming
that's where you're flying into, otherwise forget camera shops there, it's
too far away for that, there's several camera shops in Albuquerque, which is
quite close to Santa Fe. When there last, a good Albuquerque shop had a
branch in Santa Fe. Don't expect reasonable prices anywhere).

1. Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Not the Grand Canyon, but dramatic none the
less.
2. Take the narrow gauge train ride from Durango to Silverton. It clings to
the side of a cliff for most of the way, and photo ops are frequent.
3. Mesa Verde National Park. You can visit ancient ruin cliff dwellings that
are remarkable. There is a lodge (that's park service-speak for decent
motel) inside the park, and is quite affordable. There are other cliff
dwellings near the four corners as well.

Don't know how the trees will be the first part of November, but I'll bet
most of the leaves are gone. I would suggest the highest saturation film
possible, as the scenery in most of Colorado and New Mexico will be
monochromatic. the extra saturation will also do well at the Grand Canyon.

Black and white wouldn't be a bad idea.

Bill Pearce