[OM] OM Soccer Pics (OT)

Subject: [OM] OM Soccer Pics (OT)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:01:55 +1300
Hi Rich & co,

I used to coach junior soccer (for 6 years) and we coaches had to referee all
games - one coach half the game and the other coach the other half the
game.

All games? Well, nearly all. Sometimes - never more than once a season,
unannounced we'd find a black-dressed official coach just appear on the
scene and take charge. During one such event, I chose to stand near the
goal-line (behind the goal) to coach our goalie (in these grades we coached
during the games). I was surprised - and extremely upset to be very rudely
told by the invading official referee to get out of that area or he'd take
action.

Apparently it is contrary to international soccer rules to have any  non-player
along the short side - ie near the goals. But I had no idea this was the case.

Thinking about how I was treated as I write this, my blood still boils.

Brian