Re: [OM] Fill-flash (oh no, not again!)

Subject: Re: [OM] Fill-flash (oh no, not again!)
From: Thomas Bryhn <thomas.bryhn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 16:06:32 +0100
At 01:25 05.11.02, Winsor Crosby wrote:
For less than the cost of a flash you can buy a "smart flash" empowered P&S like an Olympus Stylus Epic(mju) which will automatically do flash fill whenever you want it and take up less room in the camera bag.

The trouble with this approach is that you suddenly can't do anything but fill-flash. With max aperture f/2.8 at the very best, and a GN of 7 you're only OK because of the wide angle lenses. For flash work I would rather have a longer lens and the same energy put into a narrower beam of flash light, even if that meant making the camera less compact. That said, my GR1 is a very handy camera to carry in a belt pouch, just not as a flash camera.

Thomas Bryhn