Re: [OM] Re: What's your standard setup?

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: What's your standard setup?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 23:19:58 -0500
At 17:27 12/6/02, Cy in the UK wrote:
----- Original Message -----
>Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 21:54:24 +1300
>From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Re: What's your standard setup?

>I know the question wasn't directed to me, but I am a strong supporter of
>this lens.

As am I.

One disappointing aspect of the 35-105mm zoom is that it is the lens with
the most horriblest (**) aperture ring of any Zuiko.  I got my mint sample
via Ebay, but prior to that I examined two others in a shop, and all three
had this horrible aperture ring.  It feels as though the aperture ring is
full of grit and in need of a generous squirt of WD40.  As all three samples
exhibited this characteristic, I surmise that this is normal for the
35-105mm Zuiko.

It must have something to do with being in the UK  :-)

Mine has very positive detents, perhaps a little more than necessary considering how closely they are spaced, but it certainly doesn't feel full of grit and turns smoothly. This isn't the only Zuiko I've handled that has aperture detents a bit more positive than I would like, but it's a minor nit and affects feel, not operation. The focus/zoom ring is exceptionally smooth with a nice drag resistance that gives it a very positive feel. Work the ring on a current Wunderbrick 28-80mm plasic barreled lens some time. The difference between the two is dramatic.

My sole design complaint is the close-up helical ring being too close to the lens mounting flange. The lens mount release button is set down between it and the lens mount. It is more difficult to fully depress the release button when dismounting the lens compared to all the other Zuiko's I've handled.

-- John