[OM] contact prints

Subject: [OM] contact prints
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 22:39:11 -0600
Jaime,

Here's where we really show our age. Whe most of us speak of contact
printing today, what we really mean are proof sheets, a whole roll printed
at actual size on a sheet. When I started in photography, even then we did
proof sheets on enlarging paper. The speed isn't a problem, most everyone
uses their enlarger as a light source, so just stop down the lens, and make
a short exposure. Most people I know use RC paper for proof sheets, usually
the cheapest possible.

Then, there are real contact prints. These are usually made from 8x10
negatives. Kodak has managed to keep Azo in their line, freeing the smaller
European manufacturers from making a substitute, in the manner of Super XX.
If you haven't seen one of these, you're really missing something.

There are two current uses for contact printing. First, there are large
numbers of prints of a single image, as are sent out with press releases,
and to newspapers and magazines for advertising. Obviously, this market is
going digital in a big way. One good, still existing sample are the 8x10
glossies that actors and models send out. these are contact printed from a
large copy negative, and things like type can be easily added. Again, this
market is on its last legs.

Another use is Fine Art Photography. There are still some who contact print
from original 8x10 or larger negatives, but the real deal today are
digitally created negatives. This allows the photographer to shoot a great
shot, clean things up in Photoshop, and create a negative that would be
impossible before digital. These can be made at a service bureau, giving a
silver film negative just like printers use (there's a steep learning curve
in getting a file that makes a good neg), or with an Epson printer. That's
right, spray black ink on a sheet of clear film, just like for overheads!
There's a book out on this, danburkholder.com I think. Don't know what paper
he uses, but these digital negatives can be massaged to print on #3 paper,
and Azo is highly regarded in the fine art field.

On a slightly depressing note, see the latest Lenswork. There is a series of
black and white photos taken from a coffetable book, originally shot with a
Nikon D1. Doesn't say how, if at all, he gets photo prints. There are some
available from lenswork, but they use digital negs for contact printing
anyway.

Bill Pearce