[OM] flash sync hack-I stll did not quite get it

Subject: [OM] flash sync hack-I stll did not quite get it
From: Thomas Müller <thomu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:13:37 +0100
Dear all,

even though the flash discussion has been going on for a while now, I
still did not quite get it.

Question: If you seal this front right contact on an OM4 (T), you
loose the flash ready light, shutter speed is not set to 1/60 with
TTL-dedicated flash (I use a Metz with SCA 321) on. So apparently the
camera does not know that there is a TTL-flash. It will fire the
flash anyway (just like any other flash with a hot shoe contact).
But, will the camera switch off  the flash like in TTL-mode?

My experience with slow sync: Until recently I used an SB24 in AUTO
(direct or bounced, usually set on -1 meaning f4 with lens at f5.6)
on my Om4 in AUTO for slow sync flash. That works reasonable well
indoors in not too big rooms, but it does not really work outside
with a smaller subject in the foreground because the reflective area
is too small which results in overexposure of the foreground.  Only
thing which would help here is to control the flash output manually
by the GN rule. Would the trick with sealing the contact and using a
TTL-flash help in this case?

The best flash exposure in low light I get with my K*nica Hexar AF in
program-mode.  This great little camera syncs on the rear curtain and
adjusts the aperture according to flash GN and focussing distance.
But to let in enough ambient light in a not too long exposure time,
it opens first with a wider aperture, then closes and fires the
flash. Works really great.

Cheers, Merry Chrismas, best wishes for the New Year to all of you,

Thomas