On Re-using Our Beloved Zuikos For Digital [Was: [OM] Re: OT - Awesome D

Subject: On Re-using Our Beloved Zuikos For Digital [Was: [OM] Re: OT - Awesome Digital Photography]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 10:42:35 -0800
>From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>>Is it possible to do manual focusing on the D60 or D100 cameras with a zuiko
>>mounted on it ?
>
>I would think so.  The B&H says that the D60 takes EF lenses and all
>of the tilt/shift EF lenses are manual focus.

Olympus OM has a 46mm register distance, Canon D60 is 44mm, eliminating one
potential problem in making an optics-free converter. However, the 46.5mm
register of the D100 means that the OM lens would have to be sunk into the
Nikon body by 0.5mm in order to focus at infinity, thus making an optical
converter necessary.

  <http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/mounts.htm>

Optical converters aren't evil simply because they inevitably reduce
performance; rather, they seriously constrain the choice of lenses that can be
mounted to those that do not extend beyond the mount. For example, if it won't
fit on a 2XA, it probably won't fit on an optical converter. This would knock
out many of the most desirable, high-end Zuikos.

Here's a place in UK that custom-makes various adaptors. They don't list
OM-->EOS specifically. Anyone in UK know more about this place?

  <http://www.srbfilm.co.uk/publish/page35.html>

Another starting point for research -- again, not listing OM-->EOS
specifically, is:

  <http://medfmt.8k.com/bronmounts.html>

It might make a cool group project to arrange for a group buy of adaptors.
These things are pricey because they tend to be made in ones-and-twos, and
someone might cut a significant deal to make tens of them.
--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Buy My Step Van! <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/van>