RE: [OM] RE: Visit to Oz (OT)

Subject: RE: [OM] RE: Visit to Oz (OT)
From: ll.clark@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 20:50:16 -0500
In <18B69D7B7C1DCA4FA9EB45E8376FC8472F56A2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, on
12/19/02
   at 10:35 AM, Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx> said:

>I will most assuredly be willing and pleased to
>purchase an available, hop-related beverage of your choice as a gesture
>of camaraderie (or several, but then it becomes possible that you just
>*might* "fall off")...or any other available, liquid refreshment for
>that matter.

Nice gesture. I wish I could take you up on it. Now, just to show you
how ungrateful I am: you still didn't enlighten me. By saying that you
will "shout" us a beverage, did you refer to a large, crowded beer hall
or tavern, smokey and noisy, in which you have literally to shout your
beer order to receive that well-earned beverage? Or does "shout" have
some other meaning?

Aren't we Americans dense, though?

>FWIW, llclark (apologies for not knowing your name), I once had a
>flying visit to your State, NJ, involved in a week of dogshows
>(actually mostly in Montgomery,

It's Les, and it's nice to hear compliments about this state. Most
people dismiss it, especially if they're from New York, as being
"...somewhere West of the Hudson River." I know, as one who grew up in
Manhattan, that we shared the view of the New Yorker magazine in their
famous map which ended with detail at the edge of the Hudson River, and
a vague swipe to the wilderness beyond...

We have some awfully ugly places in the state as well, but we're working
on it. What has happened to our Hudson River coastline in the last
twenty years is  remarkable -- a transformation from an industrial strip
of waste to a "Gold Coast,"  so-called, where condos and rich commuters
throng. I've seen it over a 40-year  residence in the same town
[actually, a borough].

Sorry, old timers on the list, for ruining my reputation of
non-prolixity. A lack due entirely to the giddiness of the season, no
doubt. I shall return to laconic shortly.