[OM] Re: Dipping our Toe Into Digital (in the movies)

Subject: [OM] Re: Dipping our Toe Into Digital (in the movies)
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 13:49:15 -0500
As for the debate on when the motion picture industry will go digital, a
relevant one-page article appeared on page 95 of the 21 December 2002 issue of
The Economist: "Face value -- A movie-making Luddite".  Basically, Steven
Spielberg (director of ET, Jaws, Saving Private Ryan, etc) says that digital is
not "just aroud the corner", while George Lucas (Star Wars, etc) argues the
contrary.

The economic case is that while in the long run, digital will save money, the
changeover will take more money than is available right now.

An added point is that digital is far too easy to pirate, compared to film.

There is far more in the article than my short summary above.

Anyway, one can conclude that if two big-name directors are debating the issue,
the issue is far from settled.

Joe Gwinn