Re: [OM] Re: Dipping our Toe Into Digital (in the movies)

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Dipping our Toe Into Digital (in the movies)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 01:20:47 -0800
Remember, you are dealing with 2 very different personalities here. Lucas has a very aggressive vision of the technology needed to create the effect he wants in the theater. He almost single-handedly forced a major improvenment in the delivered quality of surround sound. I pick that example rather than all the ways he has moved special effects forward because it's an example where he directly affected the equipment in thearters (and homes). Spielberg tends to create his vision with whatever technology is already available, without pushing the envelope of the possible.

Moose

Joe Gwinn wrote:

As for the debate on when the motion picture industry will go digital, a relevant one-page article appeared on page 95 of the 21 December 2002 issue of The Economist: "Face value -- A movie-making Luddite". Basically, Steven Spielberg (director of ET, Jaws, Saving Private Ryan, etc) says that digital is not "just aroud the corner", while George Lucas (Star Wars, etc) argues the contrary.