[OM] OT - Enlargers

Subject: [OM] OT - Enlargers
From: Benson Honig <benson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 03:47:03
Jamie, there are some good discussions on Photonet under darkroom, enlarger.
http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-one-category?topic_id=1542&category=Enla
rgers
 As usual, the main constraints are cost, size, etc... but you can actually
by used darkroom gear really cheap now, because everyone is dumping it for
digital. If ever there was a time to buy it is now! I've used all the major
brands - Bessler, Omega, and Durst, and have to say that one can adapt a
reasonable technique to almost any of them - the most critical issue being
the quality of the lens and your own skill with the equipment. More money
usually gets you  more stability, larger format, easier use, however, some
of the best enlargers ever made were sold 50 years ago, still work
perfectly, and can be had for a few dollars (if you select them carefull).
It's really a lot of fun, and I keep returning to it.
Benson

>Since we seem to be getting the darkroom bug all at once (Darn yew, Ken!
>;-)), I was wondering if there was any conventional wisdom about the type or
>brand of enlarger that would be good to acquire with an eye toward format
>flexibility, ability to get parts, etc.

>What other features are desirable?

>Jamie
Fort Myers, FL