[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3885

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3885
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 19:12:52 -0600
"It has significantly more power than a T-32, and when used in conjunction
with a "slab" it has a very, very short cycle time from full dump. "
Absolutely. A pleasure to use.

"However, cycle time from full dump using four internal "AA" cells is quite
long, and because of its power, you don't get very many full-power flashes
from a set of cells."
Absolutely useless without the 510v pack, but it adds less than $100 to the
cost.

" Reportedly has an issue with the head rotation becoming slightly loose
under *hard* use."
News to me. I've had mine 8-10 years, no looseness at all.

" I believe Sunpak quite making the OM TTL module, but they're not that hard
to find with some searching and a little patience."
As Ed McMahon would say, "You are correct, sir."

"The only other shoe/bracket mount bare-tube unit I know of is the Quantum,
which requires the use of a "slab" to power it . . . ostensibly a Turbo or
Trobo-Z.  Very, very expensive by comparison, but loaded up with more
features and much more output control.  I'd love to have one of these
Quantum units, along with the TTL cord, OM TTL module (which Quantum still
makes), and Turbo slab, but cannot justify the cost based on how much I
would actually use it."
Would love to have one, but way, way too expensive!

There's another, Lumiquest, I think, but not sure. It's even got modeling
lights. Super expensive, starts around $1000 equipped. That's getting too
close to the battery powered monolights and pack units. If I shot weddings,
I might think different, though.

Bill Pearce