Re: [OM] Offtopic: Wallner Report

Subject: Re: [OM] Offtopic: Wallner Report
From: "Volkan Olgun" <volkan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 11:27:15 +0200
Unfortunately, it seems that mine is not the same device.
Dimensions of my Wallner Report are approximately 10cm wide x 15cm length x
7cm height (approx. 3.9" x 5.9" x 2.75")
There is a fuse on the upper right corner (F 2.5A).
On/Off switch is on the upper left corner.
There is a dial on the left (Paper Sensit., marked from 1 to 9).
There are two green LEDs under the Paper Sensitivity dial.
There is a bigger dial near the bottom right (Gradation, Time Log.-D).
There are three different series of numbers belong to this bigger dial.
i)   Time scala. (1, 1.15, 1.32, 1.52, 1.75, 2, 2.3, 2.6, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.6,
..., 97, 112, 128)
ii)   I think density scala (0, .06, .12, .18, .24, .30, .36, ..., 1.92,
1.98, 2,03)
iii)  EW 1, W 2, S 3, N 4, H 5, EH 6 (seems like paper grades, eh?)

There is a push button on the bottom left corner (Expos). You first setup
the exposure time by using the big dial, then push on this button.

There is also a light probe connected to this device. You use it to
calibrate Wallner acording to an area of the image, after making some test
prints. For example: Let's say you have a good print by an exposure of
21sec. Now, you put the probe under a definite area and when the big dial is
set to 21sec, turn the "Paper Sensit." button untill the both green LEDs are
turned on. Put another negative to the enlarger. Find an area that you want
to print with the same grey level of the area where you have put the probe
on your test print. Turn the big dial to adjust the exposure time untill
both of the green LEDs are turned off again. That's it.

OK, This is very practical for me in my dark room. But I know that I can use
this device to measure the density levels of different areas of my ngatives.
But I couldn't find how to use this device to do that.

Any idea?

It is very surprising that I couldn't find any information about this on the
Net so far. In other words, this is the one and only thing that I couldn't
find on the Net.

Best regards,

Volkan Olgun