Re: [OM] Velvia at ASA 40

Subject: Re: [OM] Velvia at ASA 40
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 07:40:12 -0600
You're right, which is why I like to open up Velvia to 40 ASA. This makes the level of saturation a little more accurate IMO.

Actually, I think that's just the correct speed of this film for me. It's not just saturation that's at stake, but everything from highlight to shadow detail.

My brother shoots a broader range of brackets (plus in-camera doubles) with his Maxxum wunderbrick, and he is rather lazy about evaluating meter readings to set exposure, since he plans to bracket anyway. When I was coming to the conclusion that 40 ASA might be the better setting for me, I asked him to study his best exposures from each series and he also came to the same conclusion that ASA 40 was going to be best for him.

This is not the "proper" way to test film speed for one's taste and one's camera. The proper way to do it is to set up a well-lit, balanced scene with perhaps a white shirt and a gray card in it and then shoot brackets using the ASA dial to change exposure. But when I did that, I didn't find anything wrong with the ASA 50 setting. In the field, I seem to get slightly different results. I think 40 must be a little more accurate, since many people complain about the lack of shadow detail with Velvia. Even so, a 1/3 stop difference is very small!

In any case, no one should deviate from the manufacturer's recommendations just because somebody on a list says to. He should do his own tests.

Joel W.