[OM] RE: [OT] CF-105 Arrow, now even further off-topic...

Subject: [OM] RE: [OT] CF-105 Arrow, now even further off-topic...
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 07:32:50 -0600
At 10:26 PM 6/17/2003 -0700, Mike wrote:

[snip]

Garth, I have no argument about the patriotism on US channels. Fact
is, I don't even get any of them nor would i probably watch them if i
did.

I'm sorry to hear that. The quality of U.S. channels may or may not be better, but at least there's more variety.

 I think the quality of the TV news has gone down as the media is
concentrated in a few hands.  My three and a half watchable channels are
all Canadian.

The CBC must be the "half-watchable" Canadian channel you get. ;-) (I consider the CBC to be "half-watchable" at the best of times, and a total sinkhole for taxpayers' dollars at the worst of times...) As for news quality, well, it's *always* been pretty poor, if you ask me -- we're all just more discriminating consumers of it now.

[snip]

The Arrow story was an interesting one and well done and Canadians should be justly proud of the
accomplishments. And i think the bill payers in Ottawa like to see a
little flag waving and horn tooting too.

Sadly, we are mostly "justly proud" of accomplishments long past. Perhaps that'll change someday, but most of us aren't holding our collective breath.

Garth

P.S.: Back to camera content! Went and bought my start-of-summer supply of transparency film today to feed to the OMonsters, and was once again reminded that this ain't a cheap hobby. Five rolls of Provia 100F for $65.00 CDN, without processing! With expenses like these, I have no need to dump filthy lucre into digital -- I can go broke with good old-fashioned film, thanks very much.

P.P.S.: Of course, I'm told I'm not allowed to go gallivantin' around taking pictures until I'm finished renovating the basement. <hangdog expression>