Re: Yellowing of radioactive lens elements....Re: [OM] 55/1.2

Subject: Re: Yellowing of radioactive lens elements....Re: [OM] 55/1.2
From: whunter <whunterjr@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 17:18:17 -0400
Since my last post on this issue, reviewed the web site data posted:
http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/misc/lensCoatings.txt

If, repeat IF, I understand the data correctly, there were at least six varieties/formulations of MC used in manufacture of the 50/1.2. If the archival stability of organic dye printing inks is highly variable, BELIEVE that the stability of the organic binders for MC is variable. Now factor this by previously addressed issues of heat, light, humidity, pollution such as tobacco smoke, etc., and the impact of radioactive decay falls to a small subcomponent of the TOTAL. No doubt but what alpha radiation is an important factor, just that it is but one link in the chain.

Feedback as to yellowing is meaningless without data re all other links in the chain.
Bill Hunter