Re: [OM] printer woes

Subject: Re: [OM] printer woes
From: Kennedy McEwen <rkm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 00:35:41 +0100
In article , Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
So I'm down to the wire and I have to print out photos for my wife and I
to enter in the county fair this week and leave enough time to have them
matted tomorrow. Preliminary results from PhotoShop look promising
except for some ink spots on the proofs. Just clean up the rollers I
think. But the next proof has bigger smudges. I open the lid and watch
the heads smear black ink on the rollers as it moves back and forth
which in turn leave black tracks on my picture. &^%$#@ A call to Epson
seems to indicate "crud on the heads" syndrome which requires
disassembly, clean, recalibrate.

Anyone else have this problem with an Epson printer? Is it user
serviceable? Printer is a 2000p which looks basically like a 1280.

It is possible that the heads are shagged and simply leaking ink, but it is just as likely as to be a build up of ink on the heads themselves. The problem is that this can be caused in itself by dirt can be on the vacuum valves that seals the head when it is parked, which would need disassembly to fix otherwise the problem will re-occur.

To clean the head though, get a paper towel and damp it with Windex. Move the print head to the cartridge change station using the normal key sequence or software control and then switch the printer off at the power outlet - NOT at the switch on the printer - pull the power cord if necessary. Check that the head now moves freely left and right - DO NOT FORCE IT. Place the damp paper towel on the platen (if necessary fold it up into a narrow strip) and then run the print head over it several times to dislodge any lint and clear any dried ink. Check if the head is clean with a fresh piece of paper towel and repeat until it is. Then remove all of the paper from the printer and restore power. The head will return to the parked position during the power up sequence.
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers