Re: [OM] RE: [OT negative films, minilabs, etc. Now AUDIOPHILE

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: [OT negative films, minilabs, etc. Now AUDIOPHILE
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:38:20 -0700
They are probably quite common. The problem is that nobody thought it was special when condenser mikes started being used in professional recording that they were powered by batteries, so nobody noted it as a feature on the jacket. In fact, that was one reason many didn't like them compared to dynamic mikes, which require no power source. The batteries are in the mike body and last pretty close to their shelf life, as they are only used to bias the condenser cell and have almost no drain. thus it's easy to forget about them, only to have them die at an inopportune moment. I converted a couple of them to power off an amplifier board once for a built-in installation that only needed voice quality anyway and where the buyers would never remember to replace them.

I'll bet Dan is referring to some new 'thing' rather than all those garden variety records out there recorded with condenser mikes powered by batteries. The old becomes new again.

Moose

Mickey Trageser wrote:

Where can I find examples of Vinyl recorded with this configuration?