Re: [OM] [Exceptionally OT] Condensor mikes

Subject: Re: [OM] [Exceptionally OT] Condensor mikes
From: fred42@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:13:31 -0400
Hi,

The early versions on the Neumann U87 were available as a battery powered unit
that could be specified with either T power or the now more standard 48v
phantom. This was back in the day that consoles did not have phantom in them. I
have an external PSU that was used at a decca studio in london before they had
their Neve modified for phantom (this was done by their in house technical
engineer, ah the good old days).

Now of course the above is true of the first transistor versions and not the
valve (tube) based generation prior to this. They really only can have their
own PSU's because of the variation of valve types involved.

There are many battery powered mics available these days but very few (if any)
that actually use the battery to bias the capsule. They are often used in
prepolarised electret type capsules. The battery serves to power the internal
amplifier stages.

I completely agree with your comments about components not being so specialized
in those days. Even today the audiophile market is using cabling that might
only be found in the very very highest end studios. In the studio complex I did
most of my learning it we had 5 control rooms and about 75 miles cable. So you
can see where you might end up choosing a cheaper cable because of scale.

Dan.