Re: [lens] [OM] Re: SPAM

Subject: Re: [lens] [OM] Re: SPAM
From: "tOM Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 05:11:35 -0500
Use http://Spamcop.net to report spam. It traces it well and will keep your
address secret, too. Free or pay.

For mail categorisation, see http://popfile.sourceforge.net/
I use 13 buckets (categories) and have 99.77% accuracy currently.
Free.

tOM

On Tuesday, November 11, 2003 at 21:15
Andrew Gullen <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Very true. here's another line of defense that seems to work for me (besides
> being careful where my address goes).
>
> As soon as I get spam I immediately complain to "postmaster" at the
> offending domain. If it looks "captive" I check the headers for the next
> host and complain to them too. All complaints with full headers of course.
> Sometimes postmaster just gets me a redirection notice to their abuse
> address - I complain to that too. Generally I get a reply indicationg some
> kind of human involvement and a promise to investigate.
>
> I average one spam a week or maybe every two weeks.
>
> I've begun to notice a lot of forged originating domains, so I guess it's
> time to look for either a copy of traceroute (Mac) or access. Anybody have
> pointers?
>
> Andrew
>
> > Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:01:16 -0800
> > From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > ... Don't expect any software to eliminate all
> > of the SPAM sent your way.

----  Abacurial Information Management Consultants ----
Tom A. Trottier, President              http://abacurial.com
758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
N45.412 W75.714 +1 613 860-6633 fax:+1 775 307-4133
        -- Benjamin Franklin