[OM] Re: A question about film preference

Subject: [OM] Re: A question about film preference
From: Wayne Harridge <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:10:24 +1100

> Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Something to chew on for scanning option comparisons, all other
> variables
> held constant: a 2700 ppi Nikon Coolscan LS-2000 image of a Olympus
> OM 35mm
> original is about the same in image detail as one gets with an Epson
> 3200
> scan at 3200 ppi of a Bronica ETRSi 6x4.5 image. But, the 3200 really
> rocks
> with 6x9cm and 4x5" images, now my favorite formats. (I won't ever
> try a 35mm
> scan on a 3200).

Exactly what I have found with the Epson 2450, you may get 2400 ppi from it but
the actual image detail is "spread" across too many pixels.  I reckon I get
much
better aparent sharpness using my old Microtech 35T+ @1950 ppi.  Some
people seem to think that USM will fix everything, but once you've lost that
image
detail you won't get it back with USM.  The 2450 is particularly bad with high
contrast images with excessive "bleed" of the light areas into the dark.

...Wayne

Wayne Harridge

http://lrh.structuregraphs.com