[OM] Re: ( OM ) OT mail security.

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM ) OT mail security.
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 16:27:04 -0800
on 2/4/04 12:40 PM, Brian Swale at bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I suppose it had to happen some time.  Mail pilfering. Snailmail that is.
>
> Ages ago I won a Kingston 256MB PC133 DIMM memory stick for a
> computer I am assembling; on the usual auction site.
>
> Three and a half months ago the seller in South Carolina posted it to me,
> airmail.
>
> Yesterday the packet arrived. Everything was in it except the memory stick
> and its plastic wrapper, and the green customs sticker had been torn off.
>
> The slit cut on one edge had been covered by fresh sticky tape, AND a fresh
> blue USA POST airmail sticker had been pasted over the pilfering entry point.
>
> Transit time should have been 10 - 15 days and not 100 days.
>
> Cheers, Brian

Seems to me you should get in touch with your Post Office's fraud and mail
theft unit. In the US they are called the Postal Inspectors and they can be
quite tough about this... since its unknown where your theft occured (I'm
presuming an international shipment...) they NZ Postal Inspector should
contact the other end as well. Its quite possible this was an 'inside' job,
and the culprits are probably stealing other stuff as well. There was a
local ring busted here a while back (Silicon Valley, USA) that was stealing
high-value shipments from UPS, and they had some insiders in the warehouse
flagging the cartons while the sorting was going on... stole hundreds of
thousands of $$ in shipments of disk drives, high-value IC's, etc.

I don't suppose you had insurance on the shipment...?
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...