[OM] 400s

Subject: [OM] 400s
From: "Adam Long" <adamlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 18:54:57 -0000
>I believe there were two Sigma 400/5.6 designs.

There definitely were....I've had both. The older one (non-Apo) was my first
long telephoto, and was extremely frustrating in that I never managed to make a
sharp photo with it. I traded it in for the newer APO version (the shopkeeper
thought I was mad!!) and wasn't disappointed. The newer one is sharp enough,
light and despite being no faster, much easier to focus. The old one just
mushed in and out of focus; the newer one is much snappier. As a long lens for
travel it'd be hard to beat. With a 2-13 screen the 5.6 max aperture isn't a
problem; though add extension tubes and it gets a bit dark.

Differences to look out for to identify them: both near identical size, but
older one was covered with a lighter grey metallic paint, the newer one is
darker and the paint is more like a plastic coating. The newer one's sliding
hood has sleeker rounded edges. But the acid test is the red 'APO' letter one
the side!! If its not there, I wouldn't bother ;-).
Adam