[OM] Thanks everyone (was Re: request to view image)

Subject: [OM] Thanks everyone (was Re: request to view image)
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:03:37 -0500
Thanks to everyone who gave feedback... I valued everyone's opinion and
critique.

Before I had taken the shot, I had sat down to watch some beavers at play in
the pond and lost track of time.  I then realized it had become quite late
and that I should head back home or I might find the way back difficult due
to darkness.  That's when the ferns caught my eye as they had a strange color
and glow due to the approach of nightfall.  So I quickly set up the tripod
and camera to try and capture the shot and misjudged the number of stops of
light present... thus the overexposed sky, pond and background.  I guessed
there would be significant color shifts due to the 2 minute time exposure
though I thought it would be an interesting experiment.

When I got the proof back from the lab I immediately noticed the overexposed
area yet was still drawn to the print.  Later as I rummaged through past
photos I came across it again and still felt drawn to it... actually I found
the lightness in the background along with its pastel colors interesting.  I
felt as James and Jim had... that it had a surreal quality to it.  So I put
it out to the group to see what some of you thought.

Thanks Skip for the suggestions for further digital work.  I'm not sure at
this point if that's the direction I'll take though.  I'm still on the
"fence" with extensive digital manipulation.  Personally, if I were to make
all the corrections you mentioned I would feel as if I failed miserably at
the camera and would need to reshoot... I guess I'm from the old film school.
The color shift I find interesting with no desire to change though I wish I
would have recognized the number of stops of light present and maybe tried a
graduated neutral density filter and possibly framed a bit differently.  This
photo will probably end up being filed in the "interesting experiment"
folder.  :)

Richard