[OM] Re: OM1n/ 2n/ spot

Subject: [OM] Re: OM1n/ 2n/ spot
From: "Rich" <deepkeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 02:50:25 -0800
Tom Scales once mentioned, re: the 2S circuit, that if it dies, just get
another one.  Considering what a working 2S/SP can be had for on this list,
the Bay, etc., vs. a circuit replacement/CLA (if a new board WERE available,
which it is not), that made sense to me.  Then you'd have a replacement wind
mechanism (a weak spot, reputedly) and a replacement display, viewfinder,
battery/winder caps (the SAME on this model, a plus), etc., among other
spare parts in your dead spare body.

ALL electronic circuits are living on borrowed time.  The OM2S/SP is no
different than any other electronic device in that regard.  I heard/read
somewhere to avoid autos  of the year '84 and older because their electronic
parts were less reliable than newer models (my '81 Rabbit - which I loved -
lost the digital engine idle stabilizer one day - would barely crawl in 1st
gear, and would ONLY idle - $225 repair plus tow bill, about '86?); that
starting with the '85s, the electronics in autos were improved and more
reliable.  I would think that would also prove true across the board with
regard to electronics in general, to include cameras.

My battery experience with the 2S has been good.  But then I - usually - use
red 60/B between shots when out shooting, and ALWAYS take the batteries out
when the shoot is over, or at least at the end of the day.

The wind mechanism wanted to bind up on me once last summer.  That was
scary.  A little gentle jiggling freed it up.  And my shutter speed ring is
getting stubborn (I've been in gritty volcanic dust on Mt. Rainier, among
other dusty places - that could be part or all of it).  It's CLA time.  If
either gets stuck to the point where gentle persuasion doesn't work, I won't
force it, but send it off for the undoubtedly long-overdue CLA.

If I could change/improve just ONE thing on the 2S, it would be a wider,
smoother shutter speed ring.  The ring on the (stuck mirror, but apparently
little-used) 2n I have sitting here patiently waiting for a repair/CLA is
buttery smooth, and comfortably wide.  LOVE that one.  If I could change TWO
things on the 2S, I would strengthen/bullet-proof the wind mechanism (the 1n
is the smoothy there).  If I could change THREE things, I would change the
"flash-ready" LED from green to low drain red (John H. & Clint can do this
for us during repair/CLA).  FOUR things?  I don't necessarily like the
led/digital-look meter display.  It's good, I just like analog needles.  On
the dashboard of my vehicles, my cameras, my instruments/tools at work,
everything.  Give me analog  anyday over a digital display.  FIVE things?  A
real ON/OFF switch position in addition to manual/auto/program.  Not
necessarily, but pretty much, in that order, would I change/improve my 2S.

I take few flash pics, so the green high-drain "flash ready" LED isn't
really an issue for me.

Otherwise, I love the 2S for all the reasons Ag listed, plus another: it's a
very handsome black body, at half the cost of a 4.

Don't be afraid of this camera.  The 2S is the poor man's 4/4t.  When you
can't afford a Ferrari, you CAN go pretty scary fast in some factory Fords,
if you get my metaphor.

Rich