[OM] Re: OT The night was dark....

Subject: [OM] Re: OT The night was dark....
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 16:25:13 +1100
I, of course
Went to the source.

Shorter OED on Historical principles

>"Jive" as a verb: To tease, cajole, to speak deceptively.

Unknown.

>Usage example: "I find out you be jivin' me, man, I pop a cap in
>yo' ass."

Er, Transliterates as - 'If I come to understand that you have been
dancing with me (literally or figuratively?), I will insert a
suppository into your anus' - how's that?

>"Jibe," always a verb (omitting the sailing-related definitions):
>To be in accord, to agree with.

Sailing related term - Jib. Jibe may be an error that has assumed
common usage. Or to paraphrase Mr Justice Hempel, Vic, 1991 -
'Continuity has assumed the mantle of identity.'

>Usage example: "Your figures and the government's figures don't
>jibe, so it looks like somebody's going to jail."

Jibe, v.  - US, also gibe, origin unknown - To chime in (with), to agree.

Jibe - variant of Gibe, sb. & v. or Gybe, v. which are preferred.
1. v. (O.French, 'giber' - handle roughly) to sneer, mock, taunt.
2. n. A sneering speech

>Please excuse the interruption.  You may now go back to whatever
>you were doing previously.

This was what I was doing previously.

>This announcement was made necessary due to circumstances beyond
>my control, and I hope no one takes offense.  My mother, both
>grandmothers (a.k.a.  competitive babysitters), three aunts, an
>uncle, several cousins, and at least one ex-wife were or are
>teachers.  The overwhelming, unrelenting and insidiously
>subversive influence they have had on me has resulted in my having
>a streak of schoolmarm in me that I am unable to control at
>times.  This has been one of those times.

Consider yourself rapped over the knuckles young man and don't do it again.

>Walt, living proof that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Got something right at least.
AndrewF
(Excuse me for a moment while I 1. Go and lie down, or 2. Get a life).