[OM] Re: Mobile photo platform. (was) An SUV Question

Subject: [OM] Re: Mobile photo platform. (was) An SUV Question
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:51:20 +1000
> Brian Swale [mailto:bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> So:- to get back on track, how can Boris make a functional
> photo platform on the top of his unspecified SUV without
> wrecking the said vehicle.

I think the problem (other than the vehicle movement others
have mentioned) might be the roof load of the car. You
can get roof racks that should hold the weight okay (150kg
from ARB for instance), but the roof load on the car might not
be rated for that.

The rating for roof load is usually based on the stability of
the vehicle while moving rather than just rail-load which
is likely higher, in which case, a heavy-duty, heavy load capacity
roof-rack with a flat solid piece of material inserted inside
the basket to spread the load (ie. your weight) over the whole
rack might be the go.

For instance, I think our Disco' is rated for 75-100kg (chuck
in a 40kg rack and you've lost a fair chunk of wiggle-room
unless you're *very* light on :-) ), but that rating is a
*travelling* limit. Of course, I think some car roof-loads are
rated up to 200kg too, so it might be easier if we know exactly
what 4WD Boris owns.

I'd check with the vehicle manufacturer, some 4WD forums and/or
ask some rack/roof tent manufacturers if you want to go down
this path.

Overall, it might be easier to buy standard racks
and ocky-strap a ladder to the roof and use that...of course,
I'm not sure that this is all that good for stability either.

Still, when we move north, I might be giving the mobile quadpod
a go too, Boris (at the moment, such a rack won't let us fit the
Disco' in the garage).

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz