[OM] Re: Another old guy digital rant

Subject: [OM] Re: Another old guy digital rant
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:12:27 +0100 (BST)
> Sorry Winsor, that's just wrong.  Not to start a flame event, but you're
> comparing a badly produced and/or manufactured LP to a (perhaps) average
> (by today's standards) or excellently made CD.  So what?  Analogue addicts
> (yes there is a list of such a name) admit the limitations of the LP and
> also admit that higher rez digital formats (eg, SACD) are FINALLY catching
> up to LPs.  Not that I am an expert on SACD and DVD-A, but it's taken
> what, 20 years or so?

have you noticed that most of the classical issues on hi res formats are
from amalogue masters!

should I also mention that almost all cd issues are downsampled from 48Khz
sources (dat or sound stream) which requires another layer of filtering to
correct for the added distortions and removal of the frequencies that can
be represented at 48Khz but not at 44Khz. You can hear the degredation
this causes easily. Get a good sound card e.g. midi man audiophile plus.
Record at 48K and then use sound forge or simular to down sample to 44K
the result is horrible.