[OM] Re: young to middle age digital rant

Subject: [OM] Re: young to middle age digital rant
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 17:29:43 +0100 (BST)

> I used to chalk it up to hearing as well. But when I have, even on
> superb equipment, pointed out the clicks, pops, cutter rumble recorded
> on the LP, wow from off center holes, rolled off bass not equalized by
> RIAA curves, a groove that is distorted a little more each time you
> play it, and a shallow noise floor, most "analog is better types" admit
> hearing them, but insist that it still sounds better. I have concluded
> it not hearing ability. It is mental. :-)

Sorry to have to chime in on this...
There are several issues I want to address firstly these so called
limitations of lps. Secondly the limitations of cd and thirdly the problem
with the way modern recordings are made. my background hifi nut with and
lp and cd system. A value and a transistor system. I teach computer
science and university and listen to classical music.

RIAA equalization - mine is within 0.2db down to 12hz and up to 40khz find
a cd and DAC combination anywhere close to that after the high ammounts of
filterring have been applied to reduces the high frequency distortions
from the rounding errors due to sampling on cd. But I would agree good
meaurements don't guarantee good sound just as bad measurements don't
guarantee bad sound until we talk about extremes like 100% distortion etc.
Distortion: take a look at the distortion on cd. ever wonderred which they
allways quote for 0VU? Thats because the performance degreeades with lower
amplitudesignals.. 20% or more distortion is not uncommon. However the ear
is non linear and far more more sensitive relitively to lower amplitude
than high amplitude - so this high ammount of distortion on low amplitude
signals is more significant than you might think. well set up lp >1%
distortion worst case. good bye room cues etc drowned in non linear
distortion. Cd quotes BEST case...
pops and clicks - keep your records clean! if you buy enough second hand
get a record cleaning machine. scratches I agree are a problem. But they
are for cd too!
TRY this on a cd you DONT want to keep. scratch the label side. NOT the
data side. The label you have mauled because it is not protected it the
other side of the metal layer holding you data. Thats right you just
destroyed your cd because only one side is protected!

groove noise:
if you buy enough cds seconhand a cd cleaning machine is a good idea
too... I have cds with pops and clicks on them!
groove distortion - use last record preservative reduces friction and
stylus wear - as does keeping them clean.
off centre holes - take it back to the shop. should I mention I have
unplayable cds with off centre holes too???
rumble - yes on some poor quality lps I have some because I love the
performance and they were not issued on cd. Otherwise I look for a better
pressing.

how abpout quantization error? Digital splits sound into descrete levels
both in amplitude AND time. rounding *both* off and intorducing errors and
distortions and requring high ammounts of filterring.
bottom line is for *some* aspects cd measures well like 1970s Japanese
transistor amps.... well they sound terrible masses of feedback to make
the non linear devices they comprise of more linear. But only sith sine
waves not real music.

Yes lps and valves require respect and are not the things to go into the
car or to use for portable players. But for non electronic instrucment
reproduction lp beats cd hands down (I play the piano). If you want to
hear digital at its best try the first ever digital recordings which where
done on the sound stream system and transfered to lp. No equalization or
filterring at all. Sound very good. But Soundstream died because Sony
outmarketed them with their own PCM recorder which was dire. Flat no
matter how lound you play it has no impact or dynamics its either lound or
soft.
utter trite.

How about modern recordings? so many microphones, added reverb and
accoustic regeneration. Software to alter the decay, echo and entire sound
of the recording venue. Cd and digital are not about truth at all.

The best sounding recordings I have come in several areas
1960s Decca SXL or ARGO. 3 microphones used simple mixing sound fantastic
1970s Philips however, have to be careful the sound got brighter and more
brittle towards the end of that decade
1980s Telarc 3 microphones no filterring or processing. soundstream
digital only. NOT the later sony PCM. By the 80s Decca had gone made with
microhpones and it shows with the sound.

anyway
please forgive my not completely coherent ramblings.

James