[OM] slightly OT - UK - film scanning - business proposition?

Subject: [OM] slightly OT - UK - film scanning - business proposition?
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 19:53:13 +0100
The last bit sounds like one of those horrible spam messages, doesn't it?

It isn't, though, I promise, so read on!

I'm seriously considering buying a high quality film scanner in the £1000
bracket (Nikon 4000 ED, to be precise). But I can't really justify it since I
don't yet have any slides to scan, though I'm intending to move over to
slides-only photography hence the need. My father has loads of old Kodachrome
slides from the 70's (OM-1), mostly of India, and he's willing to chip in
something. The plan is to scan them in and then send of a CD to get the best
ones printed for display.

What do folk think about the possibility of marketing film scanning to try to
offset some of the cost of the equipment, and perhaps offer the service of
professional printing (open an account with Peak Imaging (for example)) and
reselling the printing side of it as an addition? Is there a market for this
sort of thing? Would it be easy to promote (without spending money on
advertising)? I'm not really looking into turning it into a business -- I think
very quickly it would become even more boring than what I currently do for a
living! I'm not even particularly looking for profit. More a way of justifying
the expenditure to 'er indoors...

Comments anyone?

Simon