[OM] Re: Fungus in mirror chamber

Subject: [OM] Re: Fungus in mirror chamber
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 07:37:47 -0200
on 29/11/2004 02:15, Gary Teller at gmteller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> my OM2.  The whole body,
> including the mirror box, was pretty musty and mildewed when I found it.  I
> cleaned everything with denatured alcohol.
So, no chamber paint damage? Good, good !! ... :^)

> By rubber band grip I'm assuming you're referring to the focusing ring
> grip.  What happened?  I've used denatured alcohol to clean the rubber
> grips on quite a few lenses including some Zuikos.  In fact, I just cleaned
> the grip on a junked 50/1.8 with no adverse results.
Yes, sorry for my 'senior moment'. The the focusing ring
grip, that's it. Well it unglued and stretched badly -not like the focusing
ring grip of my 200/4 which unglued but stretched moderately- and got
plasticky. I assumed it was due to a generous amount af alcohol (rubbing),
perhaps not. I've avoided alcohol for this use since then...

Thanks a lot.

Fernando.