[OM] Re: OT Photo Printing with Color Laser Printers

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Photo Printing with Color Laser Printers
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:00:39 -0000
I do it pretty much all the time with a Magicolor 2300DL (with ICC profile)
for colour proofing.  Final output is done on a Fuji Frontier with a custom
profile from Dry Creek Photo.  The cost of inkjet printing did not make any
sens for me, when I can get a Frontier real-silver-halide print for less
than the raw material cost of an inkjet print of similar size.  With a ten
minute turn round.

ICC profiling means the results from each process are largely
indistinguishable, especially if proofed on gloss laser paper, but the
downside vs inkjet is the restricted maximum width (12" x 8" being the limit
on this particular Frontier).

I have previous experience of the Xerox process before the Xerox acquisition
of Tektronix - the results were impressive in terms of colour saturation and
vivid images, but less so in terms of resolution, but that was ten years ago
- I trust things have changed since then.

--
Piers

PS For UK 'locals' on the list, the Frontier is in my local Sainsburys,
believe it or not.  Not busy, very competitive pricing indeed, very helpful
within their trained limits, and interested to help.