[OM] On cameras and scams

Subject: [OM] On cameras and scams
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:56:40 -0800 (PST)
I finally got a permission from the boss to go digital?Already knew what I want
and had an idea at what price I want it?until?I got the message from
amphotoworld.com staff to call.  I did it and was ?greeted? by the rudest
salesman I have ever encountered.  He told me that the camera is sold out.  I
asked if they are going to have it in stock and he said ?in about a month?.
Told him that I can wait.  Really liked the price.  I also told him ?watch your
tongue, dumb a$$? at some point.

In the aftermath after all the details were laid on the table, it appeared that
the camera does not come with warranty, manual, has Japanese software in it and
no accessories of any sort either and I mean no essentials, such as batteries
and charger.  I don?t see how that?s legal.  Glad I downloaded the manual
beforehand?they don?t tell you anything like that on their websites.  Glad also
they were sold out and I did not fall for their scam?felt pretty confident
though, because they advertise in almost every major photo magazine.

I wanted to show wifey the Evolt and we stopped by best buy this weekend.  I
thought that the mirror flips with a big bang and had the feeling that the
whole camera wants to jump out of my hands.  It was behaving kinda in a way
those $150 film cameras that several manufacturers currently offer behave.

I don?t know what they put inside, but despite the innovative design, the
camera was HUGE.  The Digital Rebel next to it looked almost twice as small.
And it was not very comfortable to hold.

I guess my guardian angel finally awoke?I hope he helps me find a couple of
Zuiko fangs, I think I deserve it after this...

Ciao

Boris