[OM] Figuring out depth of field with 4/3 adaptor

Subject: [OM] Figuring out depth of field with 4/3 adaptor
From: James Royall <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 08:51:44 +0100
My adaptor finally arrived yesterday. The message from Hamburg that it
was on its way on the 11th in fact meant that it would be sent from the
Czech Republic on the 22nd. It then only took four days to get here,
including a holiday. At first play, it seems to work ok in aperture
priority mode, though the instruction sheet does say spot metering is
unavailable.

But how do I work out depth of field using the scale on the lens? Using
the 24mm (which becomes a 'standard' 48mm) on an OM at F8 gives an
indicated depth of field of just over a meter to infinity. Can I do
something simple, like looking at the DOF for F4 when used with a 4/3
sensor? Or do I have to take along my 50mm and see what DOF that would
give me on an OM at F8? Or am I going to have to have to take some
chalk, draw a huge 30 meter ruler on the street outside and work out my
own scale?

James