[OM] US-only Auctions, was Tamron 35-105/2.8 $185

Subject: [OM] US-only Auctions, was Tamron 35-105/2.8 $185
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 14:30:53 +1200
Chris wrote

> I cannot understand how PayPal can be so attractive to sellers, unless
> the charges are lower in the USA than in the UK. I would use the
> British Nochex but for the fact that there is no published complaints
> sytem  and my experience with signing on with PayPal (under duress
> because some chap in Florida did not recognise the currency in an
> auction I set in 2001!) has put me off giving me details to any
> internet finance house without a proper set of rules for the protection
> of the consumer.

As far as I can see the attraction of PayPal to sellers is that buyers shun
auctions where they can not pay using PayPal.

I know I do, except for auctions within New Zealand where other methods of
payment work as well.

Paypal makes it so easy and fast to pay for a won auction. If I win an auction
I can have it paid for within 15 minutes of auction end, without leaving home.
Sellers are very happy with that, and my new property is on its way to me
quickly. I recently paid for car parts won on auction in Argentina and in
Malta. In both cases it took WEEKS for the bank cheque to get there by
snail mail. If I hadn't really wanted the (rare) parts I just wouldn't have
bothered. Add to that the long time for the goods to get to me and I only just
had a day or two left within which to leave feedback.

I sometimes watch auctions where the seller specifies no paypal. There is
one seller in the UK I have notices, and time and again I see him repeating
auctions mainly because he gets no or few bidders, and the only reason I
can see is the "No PayPal" stipulation.

Bids are fewer and lower if Paypal is not accepted.

I also offer PayPal as a payment medium for non-auction internet
international sales I make. The latest is from Germany. It is much cheaper
than many charges (depends on country) for bank transfer, which I also offer.

Brian